Inspiration Without Fear

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

We are a small group of friends dedicated to immersive story-building, and enjoyable roleplay in a high fantasy setting. We are a private, invite only group.

3 posters

A Warm Welcome?

Lost Caravan
    Lost Caravan

A Warm Welcome? Empty A Warm Welcome?

Post by Lost Caravan Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:17 pm

A Warm Welcome? 5pY1Jdg

The Red Duchy, a kingdom and world power surrounded by dauntless mountains and two large islands with dark secrets. This duchy, striving off of war and mass trade was feared by many nations. Though, no one knew why. The dark rumors surrounding the duchy, that it was filled demons, that it was ran by a mad king, that it was plotting the destruction of the world... No one believed these rumors, but something about the mysterious duchy made a small part of the common wealth to believe these rumors.

Royals and the upperclassman were as much in the dark though. Even being within the glamorous walls of the Duchy's most proud castle sent chills down their spins. It was a haunting place, some would say. Others calling it a place devoid of what made a person a person. It was a haunting site to see the old king sit upon his throne, next to him his pristine wife and a woman devoid of all emotions. None could explain the sudden fear they felt upon seeing the three there, no matter how pleasant the conversation came to be.

However, the travelers were spared these terrible emotions and feelings. Upon reaching the nearest outpost, they were given shelter there, beds, baths, and clothes to change into if they so wished. It took a day and a half for a royal carriage to be brought there, picking the small group up. The ride to the terrifying mountains that surrounded the duchy was a relatively short one; royal horses pushing forward no matter what.

The mountains were another story, living to their terrifying rumors. Fearsome, unnaturally tall, and dead. It was as if the sky darkened once stepping forth upon the ragged and rugged path that led them through the border of the Duchy. Zinnian was present during this part of the trip. Cold eyes leading the carriage as if her life depended on it. She knew something lurked there, something that wasn't her. Most of the rumors were about her... But somethings she didn't do happened... And it was disturbing enough to put even the shadow on edge.

Though, the mountains would eventually end. Grass, dirt, and trees returning to the scenery. And there they were. The Red Duchy in all of its true glory. It was an amazing site to behold. Open, grassy fields dotted with enchanting looking forests and towns and cities filled with extravagant houses. The Red Duchy believed all who were born their were truly something special. And all people lived in a certain life of wealth. It may seem as if such a life would make them snobby, but far from it. They were extremely humble. After all, the Red Duchy gave them these lives... And within an instant they could take such a life away.

With the grand forests and settlements behind though, a fearsome looking city would come into the distance once reaching the shore. A storm came about, sadly enough. But it only added to the grandness of such a city. Tall, fearsome, lights flickering within the base of it signalizing more lavish buildings and work places, tall statues depicting the gods the Reds worshiped, and lastly the impossibly large castle set atop the vertical city. This was the heart of the Red Duchy, where trade was made, where people were made wealthy, where the Reds themselves lived and breathed. A city devoid of almost all crime and a city that feared its rulers. This was the castle city of the Red Duchy, the Red Duchy itself.

-----

A soft sigh would escape the young man as he leaned his back against the soft chair within the royal carriage. He really didn't see the need in all of this... It was a welcome change from being on a horse, mind, but to be treated so lavishly despite his origin... It made him feel on edge. This was actually the first time he'd meet a lot of his family. He had never met his father nor his mother, and he knew a lot of his siblings despised him. Kaya and Anenia being exceptions along with the Shades, according to Zi. But, it still frightened him. The fact his parents actually wished for his wedding to be here... It seemed odd.

Though, the young man would push those thoughts aside. He had to focus on how to make himself seem more proper. The carriage was reaching the castle's imposing door now, and a cold feeling surrounded his heart. He was nervous. Truly and utterly nervous for the first time in a long time. He had fought battles he had no idea he'd win, he had saved Liniel from her terrifying father, he even met both of Eva's parents... And yet this terrified him the most.

Eventually the carriage would roll to a stop. The man driving the carriage hopping off and blowing a horn he had with him the entire drive. The doors would slowly open, and once fully done so, the carriage driver would open the door and call out the names of all who were in it.

"Nilo Red Lockwood, Harpist of Emotions. Evandra Aydelore of the Aydelore Ranch. Liniel Spade of the Spade family. Arturo Shade, Father of the Mad." and, with instructed order from Nilo, they would come out of the carriage and head too the door. He'd wait for Eva, extending his hand to take hers in it if she'd do so. It was a norm in the Red Duchy to show affection in public in subtle ways, hand holding, sitting close together... Small, but intimate things.

A Warm Welcome? LindblumCastleHall

Regardless, the young man would head inside the grand doors, being greeted with a huge and beautiful foyer. It definitely lived up too its name as the Red Foyer. The young man would take a few seconds to take it in before he heard the distinct squeal of a familiar voice. He'd turn to look up the stairs, but before he could do so, he felt the tight wrapping of a hug.

"Oh goodness! Nilo! Oh, it's been too too long! How many years has it been? Five hundred? Oh, maybe less... Was it months? Can't seem to remember! Oh, but it's so good to see you again, you little brother of mine!" the black haired adventurer, Kaya, would say. She'd jump back after a bit, happily looking at her younger brother. He seemed different somehow... More mature? Probably!

"N-Nilo... It is great to see you." a timid voice would call out as a beautiful young woman would make her way towards him. She was wearing very soft, pink colored robes. A ribbon tied to large gold rings resting on each of her arms. Her hair was painted pink, and so were her nails. She was the idol of the Red Duchy, Anenia. This was truly the first time the two have met, even with the few letters she had sent him over the years. It was a happy reunion, in a way.

Though, before the boy could respond, a thunderous roar came from above. And before the young man knew how to react. Rio and all of her children, save for Sana, were around them with happy smiled and many many... Many questions. And Nico found his way beside Kaya, as eager as the children to ask questions... Though, Rio would stay quiet and wait for Arturo to walk through the door. How long had it been since she'd seen the man? She couldn't wait...

"I-It's great to see all of you again! B-But... Um, shouldn't we move to a sitting room and not stay in the foyer?" the young man would say with a small laugh. This was quite overwhelming... But it truly was a warm welcoming. Zinnian was even standing off too the side. Was she trying to show her support? She was with them the whole time though... So who really knew.
    Cat
    Cat
    Admin

A Warm Welcome? Empty Re: A Warm Welcome?

Post by Cat Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:11 pm

Evandra twisted a stray lock of hair around her fingers and stared out the carriage window. Stewing. Why in all of Crona- well, they weren't in Cronane were they? She huffed. Lasmaira. The Red Dutchy. She was about ready to abandon the endeavor all together. Cold, drafty, and uninviting- that just about summed this place up. Even the welcoming committee and the resting place weren't enough to convince her against disaster.

What would Nilo's family be like? Hopefully nothing like Zi. But, knowing her wonderful fortune of finding pleasant people everywhere, they were probably worse. She glanced to Nilo. Even he didn't seem at ease. She huffed. Disaster in the works? Probably.

The moment the carriage stopped, Evandra tensed. She wrinkled her nose at the horn and grumbled under her breath, "Oh lovely, just announce us to the world, eh?" She narrowed her eyes as each name was called.

Of the Spade family. She curled her fist. Zailin. She shot a cold glare at Lin. Liniel was a Zailin. And no backstabbing murderer could ever change that. Amarra's daughter. Not a daughter of that scum.

She sighed and tugged up the hood of her cloak, and followed Nilo out of the carriage. Just as Nilo extended his hand to her, she readily clasped his hand in her own. Not that she was frightened, but Nilo's agitated feelings were rubbing off on her.

Upon entering the foyer, she eyed her surroundings. Lavish, beautiful, decorated gorgeously; but she showed no signs of admiration. Her eyes skimmed the room with her usual skeptic, stone face. A back door, why couldn't they have entered through a back door.

A squeal made her cringe, and she slid back a step. Just in time, it seemed. As Kaya collided with Nilo in a large hug. My, that girl made Ellery look tame. But... at least she was friendly. At least some of Nilo's family had mastered that, she considered, with a pointed glance toward Zi.

The moment she spotted the pink girl, Evandra disliked her. All dolled up and delicate, like a puff of wind from the wrong way would blow her over. Hmph.

But before she could establish any more first meeting bias's, a stampede of children poured into the room. Eva jumped back before she realized it was just children- just Arturo's children. Her eyes scanned the room for Raina, the only one she'd ever even interacted with. She chuckled quietly at the numerous questions and their enthusiasm, but she had no desire to be in the thick of things.

Just as she began to inch away from the crowd, Nilo spoke up. She sighed. No escaping from this lively crowd any time soon, she supposed.

LSG_Amarra
    LSG_Amarra

Post by LSG_Amarra Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:57 pm

"THEY'RE HEEEERE~"

THUD! Raina slammed right into Evandra at full force, filled with giggles. "Mama, I found auntie Eva!" The girl hugged and pulled on Eva. Raina had gotten much taller and was... surprisingly clean. There wasn't a single spot on the red fabric of her dress. Raina looked up at her Aunt with the biggest grin she could muster, showing that there was a single hole where a tooth had gone missing. "Eva, Eva, I lost a tooth, see?!"

Liniel was slow to enter, but she could be heard speaking to the carriage driver; "Just... Just Liniel." Her normally long strides turned into a lazy shuffle, leaving her far behind the chaos. Dark circles began to embed themselves under her eyes, which were locked blankly on the ground in front of her. Her clothes were clean and the soot had washed from her skin, but the stench of blood and ash still stuck in her nose. Eventually, she stopped just short of Evandra's side.
    Lost Caravan
    Lost Caravan

Post by Lost Caravan Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:50 pm

A laugh would escaped the red hooded Rio. It would figure Raina would be the first to spot and tackle one of the people she knew from the outside world. Honestly, she'd do that to anyone she met. That bothered her... But, everything had been fine up until now. Her blindness gone, her personality chipper, and she had integrated well into the royal life style like the rest of her siblings. It was perfect in so many ways.

"I see, my little hood. Aren't you going to say hello to her though?" the mother would say with a happy laugh. She seemed much better than the group had last seen her. Tired eyes replaced with a happy glimmer, her once exhausted face rejuvenated, and her agitated personality seeming to have calmed extremely. Having the help of her entire family to take care of her kids made parenting so much easier and bearable.

With Nilo's advice though, one of Rio's children would peak up, stepping out of the small crowd that was her siblings with an air of calm unbeknownst to the rest of the Mad Family. She'd smile cheerfully and give Nilo a small curtsy in the relatively gray dress she wore. Her voice was calm as she spoke, and even through its youth, it boasted how mature she was compared to her siblings.

"A most wonderful idea, Lord Nilo. I am Haramara Red Shade, your niece. If you would follow me, I can show you the way to one of the sitting rooms in the Royal Red Castle." she'd say with a cute and happy smile. Rio would seem to beam at her daughter's actions. It would seem she took small pride in her hospitality skills. They were all quite talented children in one way or the other, and it made her glad they were such a vast group of children.

"She is quite the hostess, is she not? Rio and I had my top maid teach her everything she knows. We even had Paftari teach her some of the tea recipes he knows; a prodigal brewer Rio has indeed." the dancer would say, her hands clapping together in a happy gesture. It seemed the two were quite proud of the Tea Maid's expertise.

"Really now? That's quite impressive, Haramara." the young man would say with a small smile. Impressive indeed, Paftari was a master connoisseur and to hear she had learned some of his recipes... "It would indeed be lovely if you brought us to a sitting room." he'd respond, making the girl's eyes shine brightly as she turned to her siblings clapped her hands. It didn't actually do much, but Rio would clear her throat before the kids would sigh (Nico included) and begrudgingly follow the Tea Maid into the large hall that awaited before them. Rio, Kaya, Anenia, and the quiet Rikki would follow soon after. Zi would linger for a moment before heading up one of the stairs and disappearing into a smaller hall way out of site.

"Well, are you two ready?" the young man would ask, realizing an absence of bear in the room. Where on earth did he go? This was as much his family as it was there's... But, the same fact could be used as to why he disappeared. It was hard to tell when a messenger or one of the Shades gave a message. Swift as shadows and the likes...

Though, with that thought aside, the young man would extend his hand to Eva with a smile. In hopes she'd take his hand, he'd begin fallowing the small crowd of children and relatively tall people compared to said children. The halls were grand and lavish, as castle halls tend to be. Tall with pillars and beautiful paintings depicting scenes of unknown landscapes. Red was a common theme in the castle; rugs, drapes, and even some of the paintings being painted in varying shades of red. They lived by their name, that much was known.

Soon enough though, the crowd would stop and the three of them would soon catch up, Rikki stepping forward and pushing the door open. The sitting room was just as grand as the rest of the castle had so far been. Beautifully red walls, red carpet, and red couches and seats. Though, the red wasn't suffocating either. Lush, green plants grew in porcelain pots along with egg shell white tea sets perfectly sat atop black coffee tables. A fire place had upon it a clock and a candle lamp, a shelf in one corner show casing porcelain plates. Art was perfectly hung on the wall, depicting more of the strange landscapes and some depicting other worldly flowers.

A Warm Welcome? 1551534-bigthumbnail

The children would rush in like the small wave they were, finding seats next to chess tables and a chest against a wall that was full of an assortment of toys, books, and dolls. The adults, this time Nico included with them, would be left with the couches sat around a black coffee table. Haramara would go about the room, making sure everyone was in their proper place and everyone was doing fine. Once the wave had quelled down and splashed across the floor, she'd go about making some tea, making her way into a neighboring door that led into a small kitchen.

With a sigh though, the young man would sit on the couch, enough room for him, Eva, Liniel, and Rio who sat on the edge assuming Nilo and Eva sat next too each other. Kaya, Anenia, and Nico would sit on the other couch, Rikki standing next to the door with a placid look on his face. It wouldn't take long for the tea to be done, Haramara carefully carrying a tea tray and going about pouring the tea for the adults. She'd curtsy elegantly before going to stand next to Rikki, the construct smiling gently down at her.

"W-Well... I suppose introductions are in order now. We do indeed have guests here after all." the idol would speak up, placing a hand against her rather small chest with a smile. "My name is Anenia Red. I am a dancer and a priestess; I help my kingdom stay faithful with my dances and prophecies." she'd say with a humble bow of her head towards the three new guests.

"Hah hah! The most modest of the Reds, let me tell you!" Kaya would say with a loud laugh. She'd smile widely though, saluting both Eva and Liniel. "If you forgot me, my name is Kaya Red! I'm the Duchy's explorer! I've traveled more continents than I can remember! Even met a few pirates! Scary bunch, they are!" the black haired woman would say, whispering the last bit as if it was some sort of a secret.

"The name's Nico Nico! First and last name being Nico, your misseses and lordsirship! I'm Lady Kaya's apprentice and her cartographer! We've been travelin' for some time now!" the blonde haired, and freckled boy would say in his distinct accent. It boasted of a poor upbringing and with his apparel, farm work was probably where he originated from. "It's a pleasure to meet ya'll!" he'd say with an exaggerated bow of his head, causing Kaya to stifle laughter. An odd bunch, the three of them were.
    Cat
    Cat
    Admin

Post by Cat Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:42 pm

WHAM! Eva tottered as the little enthusiastic child slammed into her, and she nearly lost her balance. "Ah!" Caught off guard, she nearly leapt out of her skin. However, upon Raina's joyous exclamation of her capture of the soon to be aunt, Eva calmed herself. She barely recognized the child, she was growing so quickly. Patting Rai on the head, she chuckled. "That's great, Raina! Is that your first tooth?"

Eva diverted her attention to Haramara when she spoke. Another one of Rio's children, she supposed by the way she introduced herself. How many kids did she have now, anyways? She wasn't even going to bother to count the ever moving stampede of children, but it seemed like every time she say them, there was another.

As the rest flooded after Haramara, Eva sighed and grasped Nilo's hand; and headed after the group. Her step was light, and she surveyed her surroundings with a small measure of displeasure. Very pompous, she decided. Was it terrible to wish she had mud caked on her shoes? Perhaps. But she still had the inkling desire.

Upon entering the sitting room, she simply followed Nilo until she plopped down unceremoniously on the couch, not a hint of gracefulness to it. She eyed the floor, watching the various children as they played, a small smile on her face.

When Anenia spoke up, Eva sighed and rolled her eyes over to the pink lady. Inclining her head in acknowledgement, she responded with no large amount of cordiality. "Hmm, I see. I hope your introduction wasn't to impress me." She leaned back and tilted her head, arms crossed. "Because words can be so... weightless."

She smiled. "And I suppose I need no introduction, because it seems word spread as to who I am already." She cast Nilo a wary glance. How much did they know? "Nevertheless, if it is formalities you wish, an introduction won't kill me. My name is Evandra Raeneth Aydelore. I hold no special position or title, and if that doesn't suit you, I couldn't care less. No one should be judged by where they were born or what social standing they have. If you're a great person, it should be based on your actions."
    LSG_Amarra
    LSG_Amarra

Post by LSG_Amarra Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:03 pm

"Uhuh!~" Raina followed Eva closely, poking a finger in her mouth where her tooth had been. "I lotht ith on an appulll." She spoke past the digit. She crawled up between Nilo and Eva, practically - probably - sitting on their laps. Remembering her manners, she took her hand out of her mouth and put it on her lap like a good girl.

Lin meandered, looking between the people. She didn't like any of them already... That was quick. They were pompous and condescending, and they hadn't even noticed her yet. That in an of itself was insulting. However, she just sighed. She didn't even have the energy to be indignant. "I'm Lin." Simple and plain; so completely unlike her. Normally she would have acted like she took over the place already.
    Lost Caravan
    Lost Caravan

Post by Lost Caravan Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:49 pm

Nilo would stay quiet, he'd look at Eva with a mix of confusion, slight horror, and bafflement. Yes, his family could be bad, and yes, royals could too... But who exactly was she marrying then? He was going to interject on her behalf before the familiar stifled laugh came from Kaya's position before she fell off the couch laughing. He'd sigh and shake his head.

"Where do you find these people, Nilo!? Hoooo my goodness she's a real hoot you got there! All snark and instant bite! Why, I tell ya I once met a man just like her and woooow that was the best night of my life, let me tell ya'!" Kaya would say with wild laughter, propping her arms on the table to keep herself from falling on the floor. Nico was also laughing, not nearly as much as Kaya... But that only lasted a few more seconds before the weight of the situation dawned on him. Kaya was soon accompanied on the floor.

"E-Excuse them... They have no inside voice." Anenia would say, covering her mouth to hide a smile. Did she really come across as rude? Well, she would be in for a surprise once she met their parents. Goodness...

"Well, words definitely can be weightless, just as the titles we shared! I would've assumed Nilo told you about us, dear." the robed woman would say with a small smile. She too found this situation beyond amusing. It'd figure something like this would happen.

"You do know you're talking to a farm boy, outcast, and a government doll, right? We just wanted to keep things formal was all! Yeash, you two need to lighten up! Why, I tell ya not all us here royals are snobs. Why, I once met a king that was jollier than a drunkard in a tavern! Oh, and a queen whose castle was literally a party house! She knew how to dance, let me tell ya!" Kaya would boast as per usual. Did the two know you could simply be polite and royal at the same time without being condescending? She honestly couldn't believe how quick they were to judge. Heck, she had even gone to visit them before!

"Goodness me, I'm so sorry we found your words so funny... But, really, you aught to know that the Reds who are Nilo's friends are no stranger to dungeon cells and harsh punishments. As Kaya said, who you talk too right now hold no standing, power, even substantial wealth. Well, in Kaya's case she's even poorer than me, if you could believe." Anenia would say with a small giggle from herself, Kaya pouting up at her through a stream of giggles herself. She eventually sat back on the seat, fixing her hair band that had gone horribly askew. Rolling on the floor did that to your hairbands.

"Well, formalities now effectively destroyed, shall we attempt to get to know one another? I would love to know more about Nilo's friend and his future wife! I've been waiting for the day my darling baby brother Nilo finally brought his friends for a visit." Anenia would say with a voice that matched an excited child. She really had been waiting for this day. She'd been writing about in her diary for some now, speculating what they'd be like and even what Nilo looked like! Why, he was a handsome young man.

The young man would simply sigh, shaking his head. Kaya and Nico laughing was expected, but not necessarily wanted. He knew one thing for sure, and that was that Eva did not react well to mockery. Would she take it that way? Probably. Was that what his family was doing? Not at all. He'd sigh before patting Raina's head. Of course it'd be an apple... He'd look towards Eva though, an earnest smile on his face before he'd whisper too her.

"Give them a chance, alright? Not all of my family is bad, you should know that. You're marrying me, right?" he'd say before looking at Lin. She hadn't been herself since that first night. It didn't shock him... After all, he was probably the quickest one to jump back from that whole ordeal. He'd gently go and poke her cheek though, a light tilt in his head. "Would you rather not be here...?" he'd ask her quietly. He really didn't know what was going on through her head. He could guess, possibly even try and actually see... But that wasn't something he was willing to do. She'd talk to him when she was ready... Not just him, but Evandra and Arturo too. They were a family, the four of them. They had gone through so much... They could get through this too, right?
    Cat
    Cat
    Admin

Post by Cat Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:08 am

At first, Evandra remained silent. Her face was blank, her eyes hard. She seemed emotionless. Kaya's laughter didn't seem to faze her, though those who knew Eva better might notice her lace her fingers together tightly. To keep herself from fidgeting. To keep from shaking. She drew a deep breath and held it.

She could feel Nilo staring at her. Well, what did he expect? Her to somehow cough up lovely manners and have a nice formal chat with Nilo's 'seemingly' stuffy, stuck up relatives? She didn't love Nilo for his family. She met him before she knew he had family, save for Zi and Rio. And it wasn't like she was too fond of either of them.

No! Of course not. Why, oh why did she make a mess of every single circumstance? Her eyes darted between Kaya, Anenia, and Nico as they finally composed themselves after the fits of laughter. There had been many times in Evandra's relatively short life where she had wanted to disappear, but few did she wish it as greatly as she did now.

For what in the world was she supposed to say?

She didn't say anything. At least, not aloud. Without turning to Nilo, she spoke softly in his mind. Don't look at me like that, please. I love you for you, not your family. But... I will give them a chance. As long as they don't laugh at me again.

She finally sighed, releasing her pent up breath. With a small glance to Nilo-- and to her surprise, he was smiling. Her heart melted. Even though she'd made a stupid mistake, there he was, encouraging her. A smile tugged at her previously stone-cold expression, and she mouthed, 'I'm sorry.'

"I... apologize for my... hasty assumptions." She forced a chuckle. "I, uh, tend to get myself in trouble that way."

LSG_Amarra
    LSG_Amarra

Post by LSG_Amarra Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:09 pm

Lin barely paid attention, her mind happy lost in the static. It was better than feeling. It was better than remembering. So when Nilo poked her, she nearly leapt out of her skin as her mind rushed back to reality. Without thinking, she gripped his wrist, nails digging in a bit too much, and growled quietly before she realized what he was doing.

Slowly, she blinked. Was she all there? Her grip loosened until she let go of him. "Sorry." The word came out in a whisper. Her eyes fell back on the floor, her expression going blank again. She was hurting them again. Why was it that it always ended that way; She hurt the people around her. I'm sorry. She blubbered inwardly before pushing everything out of her mind once more.
    Lost Caravan
    Lost Caravan

Post by Lost Caravan Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:43 pm

He'd put up a faltering smile at first before it returned to normal. He still wasn't entirely used to have Eva brush his mind. Any mind intruding another was startling, especially in the case of Nilo. His mind had been so fragmented when he was younger, and even furthermore when his brother had died. That family had definitely done some things to him... But with Zi's help he returned to his normal self. In time though, he knew he'd get used to Eva's touch.

"You don't have to love them. Just try and understand them. They're good people. A-At least some of them are..." he'd respond back to Eva. He didn't have the ability to reach into her mind, that wasn't his form of magic. He altered how others felt though with his harp. Powerful, yes... But it didn't really help anyone... Most of the time it just hurt people.

"Oh no no, please, do not worry about it, dear! None of us are perfect and we all make mistakes. Such is the way Lady Fortune guides us." the priestess would say in a calm voice. She was devote in her faith, that was for sure. Though, her devotion in such deities led her into problems of her own. Fortune didn't always favor the blindly devoted.

"Hey hey! If there was ever an effective ice breaker, you definitely used it, Evandra! Plus, now we know we can be totally real with you! And I don't have to stray from usin' 'improper' sayins!" the black haired girl would say with a happy voice. She definitely didn't seem to come across as royalty. She was so lax and voice so boisterous it was hard to believe. Aside from the clothes she was wearing, she'd look like any other commoner.

Though, silence would fall upon the room as Rio gasped. Her attention previously on her children and Raina before she noticed the stone grip Lin had on Nilo. The young man himself wouldn't make a sound, wincing slightly at the pain though. Maybe poking was too much too soon?

"No no, it's okay, Lin..." he'd say quietly. Not sure as to what to do. It was weird being in this situation. Too often he was fighting battles or being the one who was emotional distress. As much as he wanted to be, he wasn't good at making people feel better... "Would you like to be somewhere else, Lin? We don't have to do this right now." he'd say with a calm voice, a concerned look on his face. Did that night really destroy her this much? Why couldn't she realize staying would've been her end? An end that none of them wanted. What of her mother? That was something none of them had even brought up that night...

"Y-Yes! Ah, we wouldn't dare make anyone feel uncomfortable! If you would rather this happen later, we understand." Anenia would say in her calm voice. She didn't understand what was happening, but she knew something was obviously wrong with Linniel now that she looked at her. Did something happen on the road to the Red Duchy?
    Cat
    Cat
    Admin

Post by Cat Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:57 pm

Evandra crossed her arms and sunk back against the couch. She cast a sidelong glance at Nilo. It bothered him. Well, why wouldn't it? Having someone speak directly in your head wasn't exactly a common thing. For normal people. She sighed.

Ah, another patronizing 'dear' comment. She sighed, but plastered a smile on her face. Why did everyone have a tendency to call her dear, of all things?  Anenia was nice enough, too nice. But this 'Lady Fortune' stuff? She glanced to Nilo and quirked an eyebrow. She really should have gathered more information on the Reds before they came here.

"Right...," she responded to Anenia, not sure if she came across as 'agreeing' or just saying something she thought would be an appropriate response.

Kaya's positivity seemed to have no bounds. Eva snorted. It'd take a lot more than that to break the ice between them. It was... something of a glacier. She propped her chin on her hand and tapped her jaw slowly, nodding in response. "Well at least that is fortunate... being 'real' is always preferred."

Eva stiffened; something wasn't right. No matter how much she tried to block out other people's blasted emotions, it always seemed to trickle through. She sat up and jerked her head toward Lin, right as Rio gasped. Lin! What are you doing? She cast the question without a second thought.

Then Lin's emotions hit her in a wave. Eva cringed and pressed her hand to her mouth. She was so stupid. Lin, no wait, it's okay! Y-you didn't mean it.

LSG_Amarra
    LSG_Amarra

Post by LSG_Amarra Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:33 pm

Lin winced visibly, her eyes going wide and shifting to Evandra. To anyone other than the two of them not much could be gained, but it was easy for Eva to feel the fear rolling off of the younger woman in waves. She'd feel the immense desire to run and hide, but at the same time the mental and emotional exhaustion that weighed heavily on her. Eva, please don't! Lin's mind pushed weakly on Eva's but she couldn't get the wall up to hide what needed to be. She inched away from everyone, "I'm sorry."

Her shoulders ached, and even as she took the steps back to distance herself, it was the first time she had picked her head up and the cartilage cracked down her neck. "I'm sorry, I can't do this right now." She turned, giving in her her desire and retraced her steps, making her way to the front door. There's too much, I can't, I'm sorry.

"Why did miss Lin leave?" She tugged on Nilo's sleeve. "Doesn't she like it here?" Raina couldn't fathom why Lin would leave her home looking the way she did. She couldn't understand it, but Lin felt off, even to such a young girl.
    Lost Caravan
    Lost Caravan

Post by Lost Caravan Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:03 pm

The young man would sigh, Haramara quickly going to follow Liniel as she exited the room. It wouldn't do for her to get lost in the castle or run into one of the other Reds unannounced. It was clear though that the small meeting was over, Rio sighing quietly as she would soon stand.

"It is... Getting late, yes. I'll be taking my leave now. Raina, would you like to spend the night with Uncle Nilo and Aunty Eva? Or do you want to come back home with the rest of us?" she'd ask with a small smile. She hadn't let her out of her sights in the recent months... How could she? Such an adventurous spirit in such a young body... It worried her immensely. But, if she was with Nilo and Evandra, she felt it'd be okay if she stayed with them.

Regardless of the answer, she'd smile and gently bow to the group, Rikki helping her in rounding up the children and escorting them out the door. The room was definitely quieter after that. Kaya, Anenia, and Nico unsure as to what to say. Kaya would be the first to talk though, clearing her throat before standing.

"W-Well... Ah, I suppose we pushed ya'll a little too far... Heh, sorry about that... Um, we'll be taking our leave now, though. You must all be exhausted after the trip." she'd say, smiling before quickly leaving as well, Nico following closely behind. Kaya didn't handle awkward situations well, and she definitely didn't know how to deal with a stranger's emotions like that. Whatever happened on their trip wasn't something she would just ask about... Especially after that.

"I-I... Um... I-I'm sorry... I-I..." Anenia would stammer after a while, unsure as to what to do. She wanted so eagerly to see Nilo for the first time and all of his friends that she never took into account what they had recently gone through. She'd silence herself after a few moments, composing her emotions as she'd stand. It wouldn't do to make a fool of herself... She had made a mistake, but that was all it was. A mistake that was out of her hands now. Fortune hadn't favored her, but Fate had led her to learn new things.

"I can show you two to your room, if you would like... Though, I understand if you wish to find Liniel." the priestess would say quietly. A forced smile on her face. She felt guilty about this, but she really didn't know what else to do...

"Do you want to give her time, or do you want to make sure she's safe? I don't really know what to decide... I don't want to push her, you know? And... We haven't exactly been able to give her time..." he'd ask Eva, and then wonder aloud. He really didn't know what to do in a situation like this... He loved Lin, but he also knew she was stubborn with just about everything, including her emotions. Maybe time was just what she needed... But still...
    Cat
    Cat
    Admin

Post by Cat Tue Sep 06, 2016 5:35 pm

Fine. Have it your way.

Evandra sat stock still, but her eyes followed Lin. She didn't exactly feel upset anymore-- just a jumble of Lin's emotions and her own frustration. But it was enough to make herself wish to dash from the room in a fit.

She removed her hand from her mouth and curled her fingers into a tight fist. Well, that made everything better. Withdrawal from Lin's chaotic mind hadn't been swift enough; and experiencing another's emotions was always... painful. She sighed, and, if there was no more Raina divider, leaned her head back, lightly resting on Nilo's shoulder.

The dull hubbub of children faded from the room without Evandra hardly noticing. When Kaya spoke, she blinked slowly. Right, there were still people in the room. "No, it's fine. We're all just a little...," she paused and searched for the word. "Emotionally high-strung. Lin... Lin should be okay after some alone time." She bit her lip. I hope.

"She won't listen to reasoning right now, Nilo. It'd probably be best to leave her be-- that is, if it's a good idea to leave her alone here of all places." Eva huffed. When they lived in the woods it was easy to let someone cool off or just sort through their thoughts-- mostly because they were the scariest things in the woods-- but still, Eva was already feeling stifled by the Red Dutchy.

LSG_Amarra
    LSG_Amarra

Post by LSG_Amarra Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:44 pm

Raina had, in fact, hopped up when her mother mentioned staying with Eva and Nilo. "Oh, yes yes yes~! I want to go with auntie and uncle!" She bounced up and down, nearly unaware of the serious tone of the conversation. "Are we gonna go play? I learned lots of new games!" She leaned on Eva's knees, looking between the two in excitement.
    Lost Caravan
    Lost Caravan

Post by Lost Caravan Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:06 pm

That was his concern... His family wasn't known to be kind and welcoming, and the fact his father had called every member of the Red family too the duchy surprised him. He wished to have talked a little about that with his sisters... But, now hadn't been a good time, it seemed. Though...

"As... Strange as this may sound, I think she'll be fine as long as Haramara stays with her. If any of my other family members crosses their paths, and Lin does something to provoke them... Rio and Zi won't hesitate to be by their side." the young man would say with a small nod of his head. The servants wouldn't intervene, no... But with two Shades by Lin's side, she should be safe... Even if Zi had to teleport he to safety. Luckily, Zi's position allowed her to fight against any of the Reds that weren't the Archduke and Archduchess.

"Ah... As far as games go, I suppose we could play one before we decide to settle down. As long as Auntie Eva is okay with it though." he'd say with a small smile at Raina, patting her head gently. She was getting so big... Was this how kids normally aged? He honestly didn't know too well...

Anenia would stand there quietly though, deep in thought. She had half a mind to go after Liniel herself... But she decided against it. Foreigners from such a faraway land obviously didn't understand their beliefs... It was a miracle Ruga had taught Nilo at all, what with how the Ladies of Fate and Fortune had cursed the boy. Those were terrible times...
    Cat
    Cat
    Admin

Post by Cat Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:39 pm

Eva nodded; Haramara, despite her age(or lack thereof), seemed responsible enough. At least more so than Lin. "As long as she's safe, I have no problem leaving her be." She almost seemed indifferent at this point, and accentuated her comment with a slight shrug. It took too much emotional energy to worry about Lin, energy that she did not posses.

"A game?" Okay with it? Psh, if only Nilo knew how many games she'd played with kids in her time. Eva leaned forward, a weary smile tugging at her lips, and lightly booped Raina on the nose. "You're it,~" she said teasingly.

But instead of pursuing a chase right then and there, she leaned back and reached to grab Nilo's hand. "Sounds good. Just one game before we settle down. It's been a big day." She glanced toward the door, where Lin had departed. A long, very long day.
    Lost Caravan
    Lost Caravan

Post by Lost Caravan Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:16 pm

With a small nod, the young man would smile towards Eva before standing, looking down at Raina. One game wouldn't be too much for them... After all, what could the were-bear really do that would tire them all out? Anenia would sit back down on the couch, reaching for her unfinished cup of tea. She'd smile politely before taking a sip of the creamy and hot liquid.

"I'll... Be staying here for a while, then. If you need me, that is..." she'd say with a polite smile and nod of her head before returning to her tea. The young man would nod before walking towards the door, looking at Raina with a slightly mischievous grin on his face.

"So, young lady, are you ready to play a game?" he'd say before reaching down into his shadow and pulling out the magical harp, Ruhindra. He'd gently place the bow on the enchanted strings before diving out the door with a dramatic spin, a note filled with joy springing forth from it. The harp amplified his emotion manipulating magic almost too the point where anyone could be affected by it. However, such manipulation was easily made notice of... But, who didn't like a little music to lighten the mood?

"If the ferocious but awfully fluffy Raina is it, then I aught to keep my distance, no?" he'd say with grandeur, spinning back once more with another joy filled note leaving his harp. If anything, the music was more for him... It'd help to be happy while exhaustedly playing a game.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:07 am